Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Rating Game

Alrighty, folks, it’s time to get down to it. The big question. How the heck am I going to carry a concealed handgun with me while being comfortable, practical, and stylish?

Well, there are many options. And there’s not going to be a one-size-fits-all solution. As with any fashion question, the answer is that it all depends on you. When you find the option that works for you, jives with your style, and gives you confidence, that’s when you look good.

The only way to discover the best method of carrying for you is to experiment. With any luck, you’ll find something that works for you without too much trouble. For the benefit of you, the reader, I’m going to experiment with just about every option I can get my hands on. It’s my hope that my experiences will help you to narrow down your choices. But remember, what works for me might not work for you, so be patient and be flexible!

The Rating Game

I’ll be evaluating each carry method in three categories: Comfort, Concealability, and Confidence

Comfort: It’s important that whatever equipment you use to carry is comfortable. I don’t know about you, but I don’t think I’d be very enthused about carry a handgun if doing so meant getting pinched, poked, or otherwise assaulted by my own accessories. Now, keep in mind that carrying will feel different at first. You’re adding a new, possibly bulky, item to your wardrobe, and it will take some getting used to. But, it should not cause unnecessary discomfort.
1= I would rather jump into a pit of porcupines 
10= Feels like a brand-new cashmere sweater

Concealability: The whole point is the ability to conceal your weapon, right? But how easily does it disappear? Can you put it on, slip into a beautiful blouse, and watch your handgun vanish? Of course, the type of clothing that is paired with any method of carry makes a big difference. It’s likely that some methods will work great with one type of shirt, and not at all with another. So it’s definitely possible that more than one method of carry could be necessary to cover your entire wardrobe.
1= Is that an extra appendage? 
10= Invisible, and figure-enhancing too!

Confidence: Let’s just say, if you constantly need to fiddle with your gun and slash or holster to ensure that it stays in place, you might be defeating the purpose. A successful method of concealment should allow you to confidently go about your regular daily activities without having to worry about whether your weapon is moving about, coming out of hiding, or threatening to escape altogether. Again, same idea here as above, this will be a new feeling and something to adjust to, but you should be able to feel confident going out in public armed. There is also an aspect of confidence in use, meaning that you should also feel confident that the gun is accessible and usable, i.e. not so stuck in your pocket that there’s no hope of getting it out if it’s ever needed.
1= Maybe some duct tape would help… 
10= The Bionic Woman, now with built-in holster!

(By the way, I’m assuming my readers pick up on a bit of humor…)

I was really hoping to also post part one of my first review today.  But, this post turned out to be quite long, and I haven't even added the pictures yet!  So, don't worry, the review of the belly band is coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment